As I mentioned in my long con report (the one that was so long, you probably didn’t read it 😉 on Sunday afternoon my phone (Sprint Motorola Q) ate its own head and crashed completely (Mmmm, taste the power of Windows Mobile. Or something). This means that all of my phone numbers were blown away. This coincides neatly with our decision to send out holiday cards this year, so if you would like to be in my phone book and receive a card, please respond with your name, address, and phone number. Replies will be screened, and if you already replied to Takaza‘s post you don’t need to reply here. Thanks!
There’s not going to be a lot of order to this, but hey, bear with me.
- I said it before but I want to say it again: I had the support of the most amazing group of people at Registration this year. They worked hard, and every single one of them deserves high praise: Neowolf2, rustitobuck, Rolliebear, CobaltFox, Little_Wolf, DaveQat, Ramalion, chsck83, Shy_Matsi, mutantur, Moiracoon, Woodychitwn, Bullethc, Chanur2000, Drew2u, Fordshepherd, Kellicjtiger, Street22, and Tozier_wah. Great job, folks!
- I will freely admit I had some concerns about sabotlours and carol_kitty running Con Suite, mainly due to the complexities of running something as logistically complicated as Con Suite from Albuquerque. I am delighted to say that not only were my concerns completely unjustified, but also that they totally rocked the place, bringing foods heretofore unseen in MFF’s Con Suite (sushi! stir fry!). And I am very, very glad that they are returning to staff next year in the same role.
- It is with mixed emotions that I leave Registration behind and move into the Chairman role. I’ve been running Registration for seven years (the first MFF, damnbear did a great job at it) and it’s time for a change. I’m a logistics guy, not a programmer, and it always bothered me that the Registration system was pretty much a black box to me (of necessity – I wasn’t expecting anyone to teach me to program, after all!). I’m glad that Neowolf will be taking it over; he will hopefully bring new life and new ideas to the department. As for being chairman: Wow. Daunting doesn’t begin to cover it. I have some ideas for the coming year, and I still need to talk to many of the convention staff to see what their plans are for 2008. We’ve got a terrific group of people on staff and my job will be to stay out of their way and let them do what they do best.
- I get to sleep in next year! Well, at least until 8 AM. Sometimes it sucks to be a morning person.
- Speaking of waking up early, props to crim_ferret and the other Security folks for having fresh coffee each morning. Thanks!
- There will be another Fine Potables Party at Anthrocon, and at Midwest FurFest 2008 (“Chairman’s Reception”? 🙂 Those are far too entertaining to let fall by the wayside.
- So we had three elevators in a four-story hotel and we managed to kill one of them. The Westin has four elevators for 16 floors. Well – this will be fun to manage.
The Midwest FurFest Website has been updated, and has not only the video that we showed at Closing Ceremonies to introduce the Westin but also links to reserve your hotel room and register for MFF 2008! Yay!
So, now there’s nothing to worry about until next year. Oh, except for Wuffmeet. And Anthrocon (and creating an entirely new point of sale system for that). Yeah, no worries whatsoever…
Well, it’s been almost a week since Midwest FurFest, and I’m finally able to sum it all up: DAMN. And I mean that in a good way 🙂
Let’s see if I can condense this down to something readable. I do want to preface this by saying that if I don’t mention your name it’s because it was all a blur – please don’t think any slight is intended.
I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! We’re all still slowly recuperating from a great convention, but I did want to let folks know that a brief summary of 2007 and a preview for 2008 (including a copy of the video that was shown at Closing Ceremonies and a link for hotel reservations!) is available from our website, http://www.furfest.org. Enjoy!